KMS Windows OS activation
This article provides information about how to activate Windows KMS licensing and how to convert a MAK into a KMS client. When using new Dynamic Server oder DDC VMs (including provided DCS Windows server template), KMS licensing is already activated (internet connectivity is requiered).
NOTE: KMS licensing can only be used if internet connectivity is established for respective VMs, since client has to contact the KMS server at least every 180 days.
Convert MAK Client to KMS Client and activate OS (Step-by-Step)
- Ensure that your system is connected to the internet and you are able to resolve kms.swisscomcloud.com and connect to Port 1688. You can test this by typing telnet kms.swisscomcloud.com 1688 into a command prompt
- If your system already is set up as KMS client, you can continue with steps "Set KMS Host" and "Activate your OS".
- Determine the current OS edition
- Open an elevated command prompt
- Type the following command: DISM /online /Get-CurrentEdition
- Search for the suitable Key depending on the installed edition under KMS client setup keys
- In an elevated command prompt type the following commands to install the KMS key and activate the OS
- Uninstall current ProductKey slmgr.vbs /upk
- Install ProductKey slmgr.vbs /ipk
- Set KMS host slmgr.vbs /skms kms.swisscomcloud.com:1688
- Activate your OS slmgr.vbs /ato